Friday, January 23, 2015

New Year’s Resolutions

At the beginning of a new year, it’s natural to reflect on the past year. It was my fourth year of practice in 2014 and I can see obvious progress from where I started, but I know I have a long way to go to become the clinician I want to be. I know I am exponentially better at communicating with patients than I was when I first graduated. I am a natural people-pleaser and I had a hard time at the beginning really drilling home (pun intended) all the treatment that would be optimal for each patient. No one likes to hear that they have cavities and I had a tendency to call every cavity “a small cavity.” I have learned my lesson, and now I tell patients what they need to hear, regardless of how I feel they will take the news.

I know my clinical skills also have improved; the area in which this is the most obvious is in endo. I am so much faster and more effective than I was four years ago. My RCTs look better on radiographs, and I sleep better at night knowing that the patient received a quality service. Sheer volume of teeth and practice, as well as several continuing education (CE) courses, are to thank for that improvement. Looking ahead, I have some personal resolutions to improve in myself as a person and as a dentist. My resolutions for 2015 include the following areas:

Time management: I will be having my first child in the spring. Right now, I consider myself good at time management, but it will be exponentially more important when I have a human being to look after. I hope I can still find the time to work out, take CE, and read. I am not fooling myself though, and I have limited expectations on how much “free time” I will actually have. Fortunately, I have a very helpful and accommodating husband.

Communication: When it comes to communication, especially for patients and staff, there is always room for improvement. I work in a group practice and I always enjoy hearing how other doctors describe treatments and post-op instructions—and generally how they speak with each patient. There is always a new way to approach things, and I have taken bits and pieces from various doctors and incorporated them into my own vernacular.  

Clinical skills: As part of the Nebraska MasterTrack class, I will be taking CE on restorative and endo this year. If time and money permit, I also would like to take classes on implants and ortho. Time will tell what a newborn allows me to accomplish, so I am not getting my hopes up too high.

Budgeting: I need to get better at budgeting my personal finances. I am going to have to start paying for daycare in a few months, so my husband and I are going to have to make a few changes—mostly about buying things for our house and going out to eat—though we are actually fairly thrifty people to begin with. I also want to learn more about business finances. I am not currently in charge of any practice-related budgeting, but hopefully that will change in the future. Anything I can learn in the meanwhile will only help me down the road.

Happy New Year!

Sarah Meyer, DDS

No comments:

Disclaimer

PLEASE NOTE: When commenting on this blog, you are affirming that any and all statements, and parts thereof, that you post on “The Daily Grind” (the blog) are your own.


The statements expressed on this blog to include the bloggers postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD), nor do they imply endorsement by the AGD.